Erosion Control in Florida
Foundation issues largely stem from fluctuating soil conditions caused by erosion. What is erosion? Erosion is a continual, natural process that wears away topsoil. It is often associated with negative outcomes, such as landslides and poor soil conditions. In Florida, expansive clay soils are more readily to absorb water, creating erosion and foundation issues. Unfortunately, soil is not immune to erosion, therefore certain factors can accelerate the process making it more problematic for homeowners. It often leads to foundation issues, such as cracks and voids under the slab. While there are many factors for soil erosion, the main causes include:
- Heavy rains
- Poor drainage
- Improper gutters and downspouts
- Clogged gutters
- Over-watering flowerbeds close to the foundation
- Walkways, patios or driveways that slope toward the foundation
Prevent Erosion in Florida
For erosion control in Florida, take these preventative measures:
- Add proper gutters and downspouts to control the flow of water away from your home.
- During droughts, water the soil.
- Clean gutters on a regular basis by removing leaves and debris.
- Add downspout extensions that are least 10 feet away from the foundation.
- Inspect your home signs of foundation damage, such as sticking doors and windows, wall cracks, uneven floors and moisture in the crawlspace. Invest in foundation repair and waterproofing to prevent further damage.
- Get estimates from our experts. We have structural engineers to assess your foundation issues before you get repairs.
- Monitor drainage during heavy rain periods.
If you have erosion around your foundation, don’t wait until it causes water damage. Foundation issues can plague older homes, as well as existing homes. We can repair foundation damage by installing the latest underpinning methods, such as steel piers, helical piers and wall anchors.
For homeowners that live along seawalls, a seawall is designed to protect the property against water damage. But when it erodes due to surges and tidal fluctuations, it needs to be repaired to prevent further damage. Our seawall erosion repair involves injecting polyurethane resin into the soil to fill voids and stop leaks.
Contact Foundation Pros of Florida, if you have erosion problems on your property. We offer erosion control in Florida to protect your home for many years to come.